AP Summer HW
AP PHYSICS B SUMMER ASSIGNMENT
Welcome to AP Physics B! It is going to be great year. I strongly encourage you to work and study with at least one other person from class. Study buddies are essential to AP courses, especially when you encounter difficulties. If you still are having trouble, contact me through my school email for help.
The summer assignment will be due on 2 dates during the summer. These are firm dates to allow me time to review your work and offer feedback before you get too far into the coursework. Work should be in my mailbox by end of business day on the due dates.
Couple of things to keep in mind:
1. We will use the concept of sig digs to help you to state answers with a reasonable number of digits on the AP Exam. The Text states the rules and I have attached my handout which is the same info but stated in a manner that some students find easier to apply. When in doubt, use 3 digits.
2. Take note of the problem solving strategy on p16. We will use this, as it is the essence of KUFCA. I have worked out and attached problem #11, p 48. This is how I expect you to solve your problems. Many times students are overwhelmed because they don’t know where to begin. This method gives you a logical approach to analyze given information and get started.
3. Units of measure must always be used. Not only does this confirm that the math setup is correct, but it also engrains the meaning of these measurements. You need to have a working knowledge of units and conversions from one to another.
4. Neatness is important. If I can’t read it or follow your thoughts, neither can an AP reader. Translation: no credit.
Due Wednesday July 20
1. Read CH 1 & 2
2. p18 MC # 1-6 (# 3& 4 answer without solving mathematically, 5 & 6 use dimensional analysis), 11
3. p 20 -23 # 4-6, 9-12, 22, 33, 43, 60
4. p 35 Quick Quiz 2.5, p 42 2.6, 2.7, 2.8
5. p 47 MC# 1, 5 Concept questions # 6, 8
6. p49 # 5-7, 11, 17. 24, 25, 30, 35, 37, 45, 47, 53, 67 (hint on #37: evaluate for time to stop first)
Due Wednesday Aug. 10
1. Read CH3
2. Quick Quiz 3.2
3. p75 MC # 1, 2
4. Problems # 4, 5, 18, 23, 26